Sunday, March 28, 2010
From Woman's Day Magazine 2009
3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp each ground ginger and vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
30 lollipop sticks
About 50 assorted colors Life Savers or Jolly Ranchers hard candies, each color crushed separately
1. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. On low speed beat in next 5 ingrdients to combine. Gradually beat in flour until blended.
2. Divide dough in half; shape each into a 1-in.-thick disk. Wrap and refrigerate 30 mijnutes, or until firm enough to roll.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets(s) with foil; coat with nonstick spray. Have ready a 3 1/4 x 2 1/2-in. tulip cookie cutter.
4. On lightly floured wax paper, with floured rolling pin, roll out 1 disk dough (keep other refrigerated) to 1/4-in. thick. Cut out tulips. Place 2 in. apart on lined baking sheets, with tops of tulips along long edges of sheet. Insert a lollipop stick in bottom of each. Using a small, pointed knife cut "windows" in tulips. Re-roll and cut scraps twice. Repeat with remaining dough.
5. Bake 1 sheet at a time 8 minutes, or until just barely tinged brown at edges. Using a small spoon, fill cutouts with candy until level with top of dough. Brush off stray bits. Bake 4 minutes, or until candy melts.
6. Cool on sheet on a wire rack 7 to 10 minutes until "glass" cools and hardens. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Now I know we are a few months away from the Christmas holiday .
But these are such lovely things to look at.
A detailed picture tutorial with a few others is found HERE
Wonderful paper photos and ideas